You are here:Tourism»Byzantine monuments»05. Holy Monastery of the Assumption Ragiou

05. Holy Monastery of the Assumption Ragiou

Rate this item
(5 votes)

The Holy Monastery of the Assumption Ragiou (Theotokou Ragiou), built on the left side of the road from Igoumenitsa to Sagiada, is dedicated to Blessed Virgin Mary and was founded -probably- at the time of the Byzantine Empire. It was a rich Monastery that offered a lot to the enslaved Greek people and because of its geographical position it was plundered many times. The Monastery was completely renovatedin 1865-1866 by Abbot Nathanail, later Bishop of Bursa.

Today the Katholikon is intact, and it belongs to a particular architectural style, with vestibule and dome in the main church, full of frescoes, unfortunately heavily damaged by fire in the 20th century. Also, portions of the wing of the cells and other facilities have been maintained. Since 1989 a small monastic brotherhood has settled in the Monastery and it
can be visited throughout the day.

Tο περιεχόμενο της ιστοσελίδας, συμπεριλαμβανομένων εικόνων, γραφικών, φωτογραφιών, σχεδίων, κειμένων, και παρεχόμενων υπηρεσιών αποτελούν πνευματική ιδιοκτησία του Επιμελητηρίου Θεσπρωτίας (ή έχει λάβει σχετική άδεια από τον εκάστοτε φορέα για προβολή των παραπάνω στην ιστοσελίδα του) και προστατεύονται κατά τις σχετικές διατάξεις του ελληνικού δικαίου, του ευρωπαϊκού δικαίου και των διεθνών συμβάσεων.

Απαγορεύεται οποιαδήποτε αντιγραφή, αναλογική / ψηφιακή εγγραφή και μηχανική αναπαραγωγή, διανομή, μεταφορά, downloading, μεταποίηση, δημιουργία παράγωγης εργασίας ή παραπλάνηση του κοινού σχετικά με τον πραγματικό παροχέα του Περιεχομένου του διαδικτυακού τόπου. Τυχόν αναπαραγωγή, επανέκδοση, φόρτωση, ανακοίνωση, διάδοση ή μετάδοση ή οποιαδήποτε άλλη χρήση του Περιεχομένου με οποιοδήποτε τρόπο ή μέσο για εμπορικούς ή άλλους σκοπούς επιτρέπεται μόνο κατόπιν προηγούμενης γραπτής άδειας του Επιμελητηρίου Θεσπρωτίας ή οποιουδήποτε άλλου νόμιμου δικαιούχου των ανωτέρω πνευματικών δικαιωμάτων.»