Odštampajte ovu stranicu

17. Holy Monastery of St. Marina of Lukos

Ocenite ovaj članak
(1 Glas)

The Monastery of St. Marina of Lukos (Agia Marina Lukou) is located between the villages Leptokarya and Charavgi Filiaton next to Lagkavitsa (tributary of Kalama river). It was built, according to the inscription, in 1827, but certainly
its foundation goes back to an earlier era, as among the relics, a seal with the year 1731 was found. According to the local tradition, the founders were a couple with the names Primikyris and Marina who lived in Wallachia and were wealthy. The couple was put in great pain due to the death of their children, and returning to their homeland they built the Monastery of St. Marina and lived as monks. Today the spacious Katholikon, with its magnificent wooden decoration, is preserved in good condition, while the rest of the complex is ruined. The precious sacred small portions of the relics of St. Marina are kept in the Monastery. Recent efforts began on its restoration. The Monastery celebrates the memory of St. Marina on July 17.